Custom Wallpaper

beautiful homescreens

LEARN

to build your own
×
%5B%5D
Date Added: Thursday, January 3rd, 2013 at 3:50 am

This is based entirely upon the great work by Hitman1k. Unfortunately the files he provides don’t work so well on my Nexus 4 so I recreated the wallpaper from scratch and edited the widgets to better fit.
This new version also includes space to the left and right of the main screen for traditional app icons and widgets (The zip file has a single page wallpaper if you prefer the single page look). All the files you need should be in the link below; thanks again to Hitman1k
Download from Dropbox
Alternative download via Box

Tutorial

1. 1. With Nova launcher (may work with Apex too) create a 7x7 grid, 3 home screens
  2. 3. Enable widget resizing and overlap
  3. 4. For the wallpaper you just set it through the gallery with Nova's new crop tool. For 3 screens use full cropping, for 1 screen use portrait
  4. 5. Now for the widgets. Make sure the fonts folder is copied to your SD card.
  5. 10. Long press each icon to edit, tap the existing icon and browse to the new one found in the zip
  1. Posted 2013/01/03 at 4:17 am | Permalink

For some reason MCS is only saving stepps 1,3,4,5 and 10 of my tutorial. So here it is in a comment:

1. With Nova launcher (may work with Apex too) create a 7×7 grid, 3 home screens.

2. Hide the dock; icon labels; search bar and select no scroll effect.

3. Enable widget resizing and overlap.

4. For the wallpaper you just set it through the gallery with Nova’s new crop tool. For 3 screens use full cropping, for 1 screen use portrait.

5. Now for the widgets. Make sure the fonts folder is copied to your SD card.

6. On your central homescreen add a new widget, UCCW 5×2 and import the first uzip file (start at the top with dateweather).

6.1. For the dateweather widget you unfortunately need to manually apply the background image, because UCCW doesn’t include it in the exported uzip. With the widget open in the editor select the background object and tap “image”. Browse for the background image (in the uccw folder) and make sure the alpha is set to 255.

7. Once it’s on your homescreen resize it to 7×2 so it fills the full width, and make sure it’s positioned correctly.

8. Repeat with the remaining widgets, the only one that is slightly different is the weeknumber one which should be resized to 7×1.

9. Finally add the three icons to the bottom (phone, app draw and chrome/sms).

2. Posted 2013/01/03 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Okay, maybe I’m doing something wrong. All the UCCW files in your dropbox link aren’t Uzips, but just, (dot).uccw. They aren’t usable on my end, which stinks. :(

3. Posted 2013/01/03 at 7:41 am | Permalink

@Ouranje you’re quite right, I accidentally exported as uccw not uzip. I’ll redo the zip when I get chance. In the meantime you can place the UCCW files in the UltimateCustomClockWidget directory on your SD card; then they’ll appear in UCCW automatically.

EDIT: I replaced the uccw files with uzip files and re-uploaded, you can now just import them as usual.

4. Posted 2013/01/03 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Do you have the three screen background that isn’t missing the black sticker part at top?

5. Posted 2013/01/03 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

@Matt8107t does the date weather widget not already have the sticker as a background? I made it part of the widget rather than the wallpaper

6. Posted 2013/01/03 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

I have done everything but seems like the top sticker is missing i.e the one behind the date and weather

7. Posted 2013/01/04 at 1:47 am | Permalink

@Kyrasym I’ve had a look and it seems UCCW refuses to include the background image when you export a uzip file. I’ll see what I can do to fix it.

EDIT: I’ve edited the zip file to include the separate background image for the date widget. Alternatively just grab the image here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xlumrl6sitkkcu/DateBackground.png

Then in the UCCW editor open the dateweather widget, select the background object and tap “image”. Browse for the downloaded image and make sure the alpha is set to 255. All should work!

8. Posted 2013/01/04 at 4:26 am | Permalink

same here no sticker

9. Posted 2013/01/04 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Open the PSD and Save the file as Jpeg and you will get the wallpaper with Sticker on it.
    Thanks Martin.

10. Posted 2013/01/04 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

@MartinAnsty I love this theme or screen whatever you’d like to call it but I have a galaxy nexus and for the life of me I cannot get it to line up using the above settings… is this because of the difference in screens on the nex4 and the gnex… and what exactly would I need to do to correct it ? Thanks for your work putting this all together <3

11. Posted 2013/01/04 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Hmmm…I don’t have photoshop and I tried to open the file with Paint.net but the picture for the wallpaper looks different. Could some one be kind enough to upload the wallpaper somewhere? :)

12. Posted 2013/01/04 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

@dranyam yes, I believe the Galaxy Nexus is 1280×720 whereas the Nexus 4 is 1280×768. I adapted this specifically for the Nexus 4 from Hitman1k’s original so it’s unlikely to align correctly on phones with different resolutions. The only solution would be to do what I did and adapt it yourself.

I’d screenshot the broken homescreen you currently have (to show you where the widgets sit) and overlay it in the PSD. Then you need to resize the wallpaper to the correct dimensions and reposition the various elements to line up correctly with your screenshot. That’s pretty much what I did originally, although hitman1k didn’t provide a PSD so I had to make it from scratch.

13. Posted 2013/01/04 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

@MartinAnsty I knew the resolutions couldn’t be much different because it’s so close to lining up….

14. Posted 2013/01/05 at 9:21 am | Permalink

I’m new to android/nova/uccw… Where is the weather source configured, the native News & Weather app shows the correct info, but this shows somewhere cold!?

Thanks for porting the theme @MartinAnsty !

15. Posted 2013/01/05 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

@raccer if you open the UCCW editor and open the settings from the menu. You can’t change the weather source, it’s stuck to Yahoo weather. You can change your location though, tap “Location” and try setting it manually.

Congratulations on getting that far by the way, this was my first time using UCCW as well so I know how confusing it can be.

16. Posted 2013/01/06 at 5:19 am | Permalink

@MartinAnsty any more icons of this type? How do I make it so I can’t click on the widgets? I’m having trouble moving the bottom icons onto the screen. I drop them and they just disappear. Also how can i move up the “time” .uccw file. It’s the only one that’s not centered.

17. Posted 2013/01/06 at 8:03 am | Permalink

@exzacklyright once you’re happy with your widgets select “Hotspots mode” from the UCCW menu and turn it on, this will prevent the editor opening when you tap a widget.

I had the same issue with icons at the bottom of the screen; it’s actually an issue with Nova. If you make the dock visible you’ll find that the “disappearing” icons have actually been added to the dock even though it’s hidden off screen. Either be extra careful placing the icons or enable the dock, add the icons to the row above, then hide the dock.

As for additional icons, I doubt it. Hitman1k provided the phone and sms icons originally, I made the Chrome icon; so unfortunately you’re stuck with them.

With the time widget, are you saying it needs repositioning? If so, open it in the UCCW editor; tap “select object” and choose “time”; tap “position” and move it up as much as you need.

18. Posted 2013/01/06 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Beautiful. I’m on an S3 and mine didn’t line up properly either, but I just moved things around in each widget.

Which lock screen do you use? All of a sudden mine does not look so nice :-D

19. Posted 2013/01/06 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! Been trying to get the UCCW widgets to line up etc. but you made everything so much easier :)

20. Posted 2013/01/08 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

21. Posted 2013/01/09 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I love this but the way android scrolls the wallpaper out of step with the homescreens is just too jarring for me. I’m not sure there’s a way to prevent this.

22. Posted 2013/01/10 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

This is a Sweet screen you’ve got here man. I’m really feeling that whole vibe!

23. Posted 2013/01/11 at 1:57 am | Permalink

wired problem…when I put the icon on the bottom of the page, I got it, but long press to edit the icon lead to disappearing of the icon….like it fade out to the bottom…please advise :(

24. Posted 2013/01/11 at 2:03 am | Permalink

ok…found the solution…set the height margin to none :)

25. Posted 2013/01/11 at 4:23 am | Permalink

@teisner that’s good to know. I mentioned it to someone a few comments up, the issue is with Nova launcher. When the dock is hidden off screen placing icons on the bottom row sometimes causes them to be placed in the dock instead. You can see this if you re-enable the dock, all the “disappearing” icons will be there.

26. Posted 2013/01/14 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

would you mind if you could make me one whatsapp icon for this? Iam a newbie in photoshop. Thanks

27. Posted 2013/01/14 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

@bujingai sorry but I’m not going to fill icon requests; I don’t have the time to be making icons for all sorts of different apps (I know you only asked for one, but if I start making icons people will keep asking).

28. Posted 2013/01/15 at 8:20 am | Permalink

ok no problem . Thanks for sharing this awesome screen ^^

29. Posted 2013/01/17 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

everything fits perfectly on the galaxy nexus :) thanx a lot

30. Posted 2013/01/18 at 8:36 am | Permalink

i do the 7×7 grid with 5×2 uccw widget, but on my screen look like really small. what i’m doing wrong ?

31. Posted 2013/01/18 at 8:53 am | Permalink

@SamS have you resized the widgets? The max size uccw provides is 5×2, hence why we use that; but you can still long press -> resize -> drag the handles so the widget fills the full width

32. Posted 2013/01/20 at 8:05 am | Permalink

@all I think I got the wallpaper right,but I still cant get the skins to show up.I’ve downloaded the two fonts but I’m lost after that. Its the first time I’ve done this so yeah .I just need to know the steps after I download them.

33. Posted 2013/01/20 at 8:07 am | Permalink

If It helps I’m on a DROID RAZR.

34. Posted 2013/04/09 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

hi, were can i get the font of the uccw of the vintage?

35. Posted 2013/04/27 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Could you re-upload the files? They are missing. Thanks!
    (Links not working)

36. Posted 2013/04/28 at 8:28 am | Permalink

@ercliou Sorry about that, I rearranged my Dropbox folder last week and totally forgot I was linking to this. I’ve replaced the link and added an alternative just in case this happens again.

37. Posted 2013/06/24 at 2:25 am | Permalink

i just loved it awesome work could you please put a video of the steps and the whole process :)

To start discussing with fellow creative minds, please Sign In OR Sign up Here.